Beautiful Story between 'A Man and Woman'

September 24, 2017

I choose to stop writing about dramas and movies because it seems don't bring any 'faedah'. Yep.. people these days can googling easily if they want to read some review. But please forgive me, I should break my rules because I can't hold myself to not talking about this one.

Rather than talk about the synopsis, I want to write about the directing instead..

A Man and a Woman is a superior example of the top-hole melodrama that Korean cinema does so well these days.


Tales of angst-ridden forbidden love have always been my favourite.
I like kind of tender-subdued-delicate movie like this while others may find it a little dull and ponderous.

If you're that kind of people who don't like indie-feel movies, just don’t watch it because it too slow and will make you boring. But on the other hand, if you like something calm, smooth, romantic, realistic, artistic, painful, and want some intense of emotions, then this might be a good fit for you.

This movie is not for everyone. This movie directed by Lee Yoonki- which is telling about infidelity. For me, it was more than an affair, it's about two destined souls meeting by coincidence at the wrong time.

Talk about directing which make me love this pieces so much. The cinematography, the pace, the mood with the music all clicked like magic. Thanks to Finland with their beautiful snowy days. It remind me about old movie ‘Leap Year’ which make me feel so addicted until I watch it over and over again just to seeing the beautiful landscape in Ireland, same for this one, Finland is like the city of romance. Blessed with solid production values, the movie is quite visually appealing and artistic. The atmosphere just too perfect by get a slow touch with the silence. The snowy countryside and forests suitable with chilly atmosphere which reflects the film’s themes itself without being too obvious or heavy-handed. The cinematography and music was magical. It has a hint of sorrow in it, but was truly majestic.



Not typical Korean movies commonly. It's so westernised.

Beside, A Man and a Woman suggests a tearjerker of a melodrama, thankfully this is combined with a mature script bolstered by strong character. The movie is emotional, with the much desired being left unsaid and the characters often expressing their feelings silently, only speak out with their eyes, or through somewhat vague actions rather than soap opera hysterics.

With deliberately-paced and thoughtful, this movie serves about loneliness, grief and also does have a reasonable amount of depth. It helps to make it at least a little more substantial than the usual kind of simple sob story.



I think it's because Finland that make the pictures come out beautifully but actually it was not. When they back to Korea, the atmosphere is almost the shame. Dark but warm yet. Korea is Asia but they can make it like in Europe. I don't know what's the name of tone they used, but blue-orange-lomo feels was so beautiful. A contradiction, you know. Lee Yoonki will be my next favourite Director in K-movie industry (I had watch One Day directed by him too, there are my double ultimate biases, Kim Namgil and Chun Woohee over there and I LIKE IT TOOOO!!)

"What kind of answer is that? Vague and thoughtless" - Lee Sangmin.


I like the way they talked to each other in formal way even they already making love often. I like the way they talked to each other with their depth-low tune they have. I'm not talking about affair is the right thing, Love is present from God, but meet someone that make you fall in love in the wrong time is like punishment from heaven.



This more like 'captured picture' than directing-review post. Haha.. I just want to show you how beautiful movie it was.

Just like what I imagined before, the ending will not just com eout happily after all. Betrayal never give happiness.

And now, I feel horribly depressed. This movie was so damn beautiful with ethical value. But, in Korea, the movie was not commercially successful. I know, people don't want to watch painful love except such a melodrama-trash like me.

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Comment